Cold winter evenings are the best time to concoct a deliciously warming supper dish and my favourite is a glorious brightly coloured Carrot and Fresh Ginger Soup. When you arrive back at the hotel chilled from your day’s activities out and about in Exmouth a hearteningly wholesome dish is very welcome. This soup even looks warm with it’s fantastic rich orange colour with a sprig of green added to the serving.
I personally love popping into the kitchen when winter soups are being prepared as the steam and aromas alone give me that wonderful cosy feeling which i know our guests will also enjoy when the bowl is placed in front of them at dinner.
Our chef’s successful recipe:
Ingredients: 2 large onions, 3 cloves of garlic, 10 carrots, 3 potatoes, stock, fresh ginger, sprig of coriander
- Chop up 2 large onions and fry in a table spoon of olive oil, adding 3 chopped cloves of garlic
- Peel and chop 10 large carrots and 3 large potatoes and add to the onions
- Fry gently for 6 minutes and then add 1 1/2 litres of fresh stock (chicken or vegetable)
- At this stage peel and grate two tablespoons of fresh ginger into the pot
- Season with salt, pepper
- Leave soup to simmer until vegetables are cooked through
- Whizz and add a sprig of coriander to your serving along with some chunky freshly baked bread